In the wake of COVID-19, it is more important than ever that we enact President Trump’s ‘America First’ agenda. While our economy has been rattled by the pandemic, I believe the ‘Great American Comeback’ is just around the corner. To accomplish this, we must:
- Responsibly re-open our economy;
- Bring manufacturing and production of critical goods and services back to the United States from China, including critical medical supplies and rare earth minerals;
- Reduce overly burdensome regulations on business;
- And continue pro-growth tax policies that enable the private sector, and the jobs and revenues they provide, to thrive.
Cutting government spending and reducing our national debt are among my top priorities in running for the U.S. Senate. Our staggering national debt has direct and severe consequences for our economy, household incomes and savings, policy decisions, national security and ultimately American exceptionalism. In reality, there is no political will to target specific programs for elimination. There are too many ‘sacred cows’ in every agency. As a result, shaving off a small portion from every agency and program is the only possible way to get people to coalesce and make meaningful gains in reducing spending and balancing the budget.
As a member of the House Appropriations Committee, I stood up to moderate leadership of my own party to push back against overspending. In the U.S. Senate, I will continue to be a fierce budget hawk and work tirelessly to cut spending and reduce the national debt.
Be it coal, oil, natural gas, uranium or renewables, Wyoming has it all. We are the energy state and during my eight years serving in the U.S. House of Representatives, I was proud to be a dedicated champion of Wyoming’s mineral and energy resources. Should I be elected to the U.S. Senate, among my top priorities are:
- Implementing recommendations of the President's Nuclear Fuel Working Group and Senator John Barrasso’s American Nuclear Infrastructure Act to revitalize domestic uranium mining;
- Advancing the research and promotion of carbon capture technologies and coal-derived carbon products;
- Enabling the export of Powder River Basin coal through western ports;
- And ensuring fair, transparent and timely permitting processes within a regulatory framework that is responsive to industry.
As a lifelong rancher, I understand firsthand the impact volatility in our markets is having on Wyoming producers. COVID-19 has exposed the soft underbelly in our supply chain and we must take immediate steps to protect both producers and consumers. First, we have to make it so state-inspected plants can put meat in interstate commerce. Right now, meat must be processed at a USDA inspected plant in order to be able to sell across state lines. This is a ridiculous rule when state-inspected plants can do this safely and efficiently. Gigantic packers that have a concentration within the industry prevented us all from marketing our livestock when COVID-19 hit. As a result, we have a tremendous backlog of livestock on the hoof that we cannot get processed.
Another thing the COVID-19 pandemic highlighted is the importance of knowing where our food comes from. I’ve long supported Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) and believe it is appropriate for all food. To help Wyoming producers thrive, we must also address aging rural infrastructure, which includes the expansion of broadband, and expand export opportunities around the globe.
The high cost of health insurance continues to be a major concern of Wyoming citizens, and a significant challenge for small businesses. I support a number of measures that will help drive down costs while improving access to quality care and services. This includes:
- Expanding opportunities for cross-state pooling for small businesses, associations and their employees, members and families;
- Improving transparency in healthcare and prescription drug pricing;
- Repealing and replacing Obamacare;
- Fostering innovation and advancements in telehealth
Protecting Civil Liberties
The liberties guaranteed to each and every one of us in the United States Constitution must be protected. In the U.S. House of Representatives, I was a staunch defender of the Constitution and proud to be a founding member of the House Freedom Caucus. I garnered at A+ rating from the National Rifle Association and a 100% voting record with Right to Life.
In the race for U.S. Senate, I’m proud to be endorsed by many individuals and conservative organizations, including:
- National Rifle Association (NRA)
- Gun Owners of America
- Susan B. Anthony List (a pro-life advocacy organization)
- FreedomWorks for America
- Club for Growth
- Protect Freedom PAC